WHAT WE DO
Lake Agriculture was formed by three individuals with a passion for the small scale African Seed sector. Having all had previous experience in working for multi-national seed companies; the potential in the small scale sector is well understood.
STRATEGY AND VISION
Access to affordable and adapted elite hybrids for All of Africa.
To be a company that is admired for the uplifting of rural livelihoods, product performance, and partnerships.
Respect of Africa’s people, our culture, and our environment.
WHAT WE DO
We operate a comprehensive maize and legume breeding program, focussing on germplasm development, multi-country testing. Elite products are thereafter registered and commercialized. Commercial seed is certified under both the OECD and RSA Certification schemes and exported throughout Southern and West Africa.
Conventional maize hybrids adapted for all mega environments of Africa. Soybeans and dry beans for both small scale and commercial applications.
Germplasm Licensing, Seed Productions, Seed Retailing, Technical Agronomy Training, Out-Grower Development Schemes.
- Localised, on the ground knowledge and networks.
- Efficient business structure; our lean approach will transfer directly to affordable, quality seed pricing to the farmer.
- Collaboration with germplasm partners; i.e. – CIMMYT, IITA, ARC, greatly reduces our research overheads, and shortens the product pipeline.
Adherence to FAO Good Agricultural Practice (GAP) principles:
- Ensuring safety and quality of products in the food chain.
- Capturing new market advantages by modifying tradition supply chains.
- Improving natural resources use, workers health and working conditions.
- Creating new market opportunities for farmers and exporters in developing countries.